4.16.2008

Cool links & Other Updates

The next 10 days or so will probably be rather sporadic on the blog as I take some time off to focus on Holy Week. I will probably post little odds & ends, but will resume with the series on dairy in the weeks to follow. I also have an exciting set of ponderings on Trader Joe's to share! Stay tuned.....this blog has so much fun to come! Time is my only limit. As a mother who makes everything from scratch, there's not always a lot of time to blog!

However, currently all dishes are done, everyone's asleep, and so I'm stealing away for some odds and ends and updates.

Since I love all things local, real, and sustainable...I want to pass on some information I received on a new store opening up in Vancouver, Washington. StitchCraft (see link on my "Got Bookmark? section). First of all, it is owned by a mom, and former Attachment Parenting International leader. The store is the first, traditional retail shop in the country with the largest concentration of organic yarns, fabrics, laces, home dec fabrics and wallpapers. It's not just organic stuff, but high quality organics that are a pleasure to work with, and owner Nicholette claims she can can "tell you the backstory on each product in the shop! In addition, to organic, you will find natural fibers like cottons, wools, silk, and alpaca. There is no acrylic here! I won't put plastic on any baby!"

Check out her website for details on her grand opening coming in May. Now, if only I could crochet something useful, other than a scarf! I would LOVE to learn how to be more "thrifty" in the garment/fiber department. But that's for another phase of life....

Also, I came across Alyss' "Year of Lunches". If you're in the market for some whole food lunchbox inspiration, look no further than Alyss' page! It's a flikr page, so you can scan through them nice and quick. She uses the "Laptop Lunch" system, which I consider to be a Thrifty Oreganic staple (although I have yet to purchase one. We eat all our lunches at home with very little exceptions!). The LLS can be found locally at New Seasons Market, which is a locally owned (read: not owned by Kroger, Safeway, Target, or any other Big Box Company).

Speaking of local, I just received confirmation on my CSA membership! Yep, we're trying one out this year at a farm just about 20 miles from here called Sun Gold Farm. I'm so excited about eating seasonally. We will have "harvest boxes" delivered to my husband's place of employment weekly from June through October. All for $18 per week, which I would easily end up paying at the grocery store or farmer's market anyway! Luckily for them, all their memberships are sold out. I'm so glad that people are investing in local farms!

To find a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) near you, or to find local farms or markets, check out Local Harvest, a very extensive website showing farms, CSAs, and farmers markets all over the US. I can't believe they're not on my links section yet! I better add them.

Ok, so back to the lunchbox-meets-thrifty-oreganic theme: I never really expounded on all the great creations you can have with your homemade yogurt. Here are some quick ideas (great for packing in that lunchbox!) for inexpensive, healthy yogurt treats:


  • Vanilla Yogurt: To one cup of yogurt, add 1/4 tsp of Real Vanilla Extract plus maple syrup to taste. This is the best you'll ever have, I promise!
  • Berry yogurt: Add any berries and some sweetner. I like frozen blueberries and 4 drops of liquid stevia and so does my 3 year old!
  • Botched yogurt: Ok, so I totally botched a batch. My usual "incubating" cooler was incubating my seedlings, so I used something else and it didn't really work. I mean, my result was yogurt, but it was very separated and runny. So I made some whey and cream cheese by straining it, and it was actually pretty good. I used the rest to soak my oats overnight for Baked Oatmeal a la my friend Maria's blog!

Coming soon:

For those of you who have asked, I will talk about fasting & traditional foods (yeah, about 5 weeks too late some of you may say!) I have a very interesting sunflower seed cheeze that's still in the testing phase, and I'm experiementing with seed yogurt and will share the results as soon as I can!

Thanks, as always, for reading if you got this far!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Your links to Alyss' page in your post and on your sidebar don't seem to be working.

Thanks for the great info!

Jessica
www.practicalnourishment.com

Anonymous said...

Hey.. I'm Alyss! :)
The link to my Flickr page is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25518572@N00/sets/72057594137222216/
or here:
http://tinyurl.com/lhdmq
Also... I'm an Oregonian too! A Portlander to be specific. Sweeeeet! :)
Alyss

Carrie T said...

Thanks, Alyss and Jessica!

I attempted to fix the problem and both should be working now!

Thanks again!

Carrie

custom essay order said...

She managed not only vividly recreate the atmosphere of the time, but notice the small, but interesting and important details, summarize them and reveal deep patterns.