7.25.2008

Bieler Broth: A simple detox remedy


One of the reasons my family eats the way we do is because early in our marriage, my husband started to suffer extreme, unexplained pain in his abdominal area. After exhausting all of our conventional medical options and being tired of hearing "just try taking this pill and see how you feel" and feeling like no one was looking at root causes, we began to take my husband's healing into our own hands.


His journey is a long story, and I will share more in future posts, but he dealt with chronic fatigue, low energy, depression, symptoms of candida, frequent colds/flulike symptoms, gas, bloating, extreme discomfort after eating, acne, weight gain,.....the list goes on and on.

My longing to see my husband be healed and out of pain drove me to research nutrition, which lead me to a deeper study of immunology, microbiology, and anatomy. I was reading everything I could get my hands on about yeast, candida, blood type and its relation to all of this....you name it, I seemed to come across it.

One book, however, opened the door to more nutritional truth than any other, and that one is Sally Fallon's book _Nourishing Traditions_. In addition to being full of tons of delicious recipes, each page's sidebar contains excerpts from other books and journals. Some of the journal excerpts talk about the results of studies that will make your jaw drop, like what happened to rats who ate Kellogg's Cornflakes every day compared to a group of rats who ate cardboard. Guess which group fared better?

Sally Fallon's book also introduced me to a "maverick physician" named Dr.Henry Bieler. He is somewhat of a pioneer in the area of chronic disease and its link to nutrition.


"Dr. Henry Bieler, the author of Food Is Your Best Medicine, in over 50 years of
practice proved that high levels of toxicity in the body was very often the root
cause of most common diseases and ailments. This includes conditions such as the
common cold, flus, hayfever allergies, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome,
fibromyalgia, food allergies, irritable bowel syndrome, digestive disorders,
skin conditions, rheumatoid arthritis, migraine headaches and others.
fibromyalgia diet, constipation diet, diarrhea diet, adrenal
fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, diet, irritable bowel syndrome..."

Source

The quote above pretty much affirms all my husband has dealt with, and time after time I continue to meet or read about others for whom toxicity was the root cause of all of their health problems.
"Detoxing" is becoming quite en vogue, and many people are cashing in on the "detox market". Herbs and kits promising to provide detox are all well and good, but I happen to believe (in Thrifty Oreganic fashion) that Henry Bieler's right: Food is our best medicine.
There are lots of foods that God gave us that detox. One of them, in particular, is a weed that grows everywhere: dandelion leaves! Beets are also highly priced for their ability to detoxify. The nuts and bolts of detoxing are actually beyond the scope of this post, but one easy and inexpensive way to get started is with Henry Bieler's famous broth:
Dr. Bieler recommends the following broth for detoxifying and restoring balance to the adrenal glands. He uses whole foods that happen to be at the peak of ripeness right now (in Oregon, at least!) So if you feel the need for a light and refreshing, detoxifying broth to drink, why not pick up some squash, string beans, parsley, and celery from the farmer's market this weekend and brew up some of this broth!
I recommend this broth to friends anytime they aren't feeling well and need something healthy in a pinch. Bone broth is wonderful too, but if you don't have any on hand, this is a decent alternative, especially when you're feeling under the weather becauase it's quick to make.
Bieler Broth for Detox and Adrenal Healing

4 med. squash (zukes, yellow or summer)
1 lb. string beans, ends removed
2 sticks celery
2 bunches parsley, stems removed
fresh herbs, such as thyme or tarragon, tied together with a string. (optional)
1 quart filtered water
fresh whey, not powdered!! (optional)

"Henry Bieler recommended this broth for fasting, for energy, and overall health. He felt that this combination of vegetables was ideal for restoring acid-alkaline and sodium-potassium balance to organs and glands, especially the adrenal glands. Bieler brother is highly recommended for those under stress or suffering from stress-related conditions.

Place water, vegetables, and optional herbs in pot. Bring to a boil, skim, lower heat and simmer, covered for about 1/2 hour. Remove herbs. Eat as is or blend.
You may add 1 T whey to each cup of soup. If you're a garlic lover, be sure to add some garlic and add sea salt to taste."
I know it's been out of print for a while, but I'm going to try to get my hands on _Food is your Best Medicine_.
If any of you have read it, please feel free to comment!

19 comments:

Susan said...

Greeks love horta, also known to us, as dandelions. They steam the leaves and then put lemon and olive oil as a drizzle.
I like it but Petros doesnt.Many Greeks who lived through the horrors of WW2 and the occupation by the Germans and Italians, literally survived on that type of food.

Marfa said...

I think diet is often overlooked in diagnosing an illness. I'm enjoying reading your blog. I see the sweet little photo of flowers and an icon. Are you Orthodox?

Susan Sophia said...

Thanks for sharing your story.
I found this...
http://www.amazon.com/
Food-Your-Medicine-Henry-Bieler/
dp/0345351835


Ps...I'm working on an email to you.
:)

Susan Sophia said...

Also...I found the book at my library and just put it on hold!

Alicia said...

I just found your blog and am truly enjoying it. I am reading with great interest the ways to help your husband's health. My husband also has been living with pain (headaches, getting flu-like symptoms often, no energy).

I just ordered the book by Henry Bieler through Amazon for a total of $5.10.

Thank you for your informative blog. I look forward to reading all of it!

Alicia

Alicia said...

I just found your blog and am truly enjoying it. I am reading with great interest the ways to help your husband's health. My husband also has been living with pain (headaches, getting flu-like symptoms often, no energy).

I just ordered the book by Henry Bieler through Amazon for a total of $5.10.

Thank you for your informative blog. I look forward to reading all of it!

Alicia

Susan Sophia said...

Just wanted to tell you that I'm half-way through the book and find absolutely fascinating!! I really wish I had more time to read because I can't wait to read it all.

andrew123 said...

I am exciting about this post.Thanks for posting this topic.
=================================
Andrew William

http://www.detox24.com

kevin said...

There are various online sources to provide you informative details on FDA approved weight loss pills as well as information on pills and tablets available in the pharmaceutical market that are capable of successfully relieving you from the grip of erectile dysfunction and depression. But the online pill destination http://www.pill-care.com is somewhat unique as it makes a whole array of information available to you, including details on the highly popular pills and tablets, testimonials as well as news on the latest tidbits of the pharmaceutical market. Log in to the website and get hold of relevant pill-care details.

Robyn said...

That was an interesting story. Lots of people (including me) have similar stories relating to Bieler Broth and remarkable healing. Food is Your Best Medicine is easily available and a good reference--once you get into it, you'll realize that the whey should be skipped, though. Dr Bieler recommended whole RAW milk--or raw milk with the cream poured off if necessary. Once you cook it (as in using it in the Bieler Broth recipe, it isn't beneficial any more.

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

isabellastuesday said...

If it wasn't for Bieler, my mother would have died and I never would have been born. He healed her in the 70's after every other doctor had told her to settle her affairs. Consequently, I was raised on Bieler's diet and I have to say my entire family grew up without allergies and rarely got sick. After eating Bieler's recipes for 35 years my mother is the spryest 70 year old I know. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for alternatives to western medicine.

Vincenzo said...

Hi Isabelle, it is very nice to hear stories from Bieler's patients. Here you can find some more in the comments of this post:

http://janeunderwood.typepad.com/my_great_breast_cancer_ad/2007/02/im_now_reading_.html

Wish you all the best.
Vincenzo

Anonymous said...

I read Dr Bieler's book years ago and been eating raw eggs, cheese, yeast and milk if i could find it. Almost 50 and no health problems, no medications and most people think i look in my 30s. I am very grateful to Dr. Bieler.

Anonymous said...

I read Dr. Bieler's book and he says never to eat garlic or onions. They are poison for your body.

Healthy mama said...

I have experienced amazing health turn arounds by following Dr. Bielers broth. Best remedy ever. Absolutely do not contaminant it with onions or garlic or salt. I was fortunate to have been introduced to his work 16 years ago. I make my broth without the celery and use a 2 to 1 ratio with zucchini to green beans and only a handcful of parsley and cook. I only cook it for five minutes after it boils and then blend it. I find it extremely important to avoid any salt, pepper and spices. to help the flavor I use unsalted butter with lemon juice and mild fresh herbs. when I was cleansing and had even the smallest amount of onion, salt it would set back my cleanse time.

Anonymous said...

I don't see in Dr. Beiler's book any specific recipe. And he doesn't include Garlic. In fact, he states in Chapt. 16: "Remember that the volatile oils and other irritants found in onions, radishes, garlic, scallions, watercress, sharp-tasting salad greens, most spaces and peelings with bitter flavors are poisons that nature puts into those plants to discourage the attacking insects ... Spices, then are natural insecticides and therefore not edible, although often stimulating [my note: a bad thing] and appetite-whetting. But since these volatile oils may irritate the delicate kidney tubules, they should be eliminated from the diet."
I suggest you get and read the book. It's available from Amazon.

Kadee Nielson said...

I don't put a lot of stock in "FDA approved" or your pill pushing website Kevin. Also original recipe was what he used. I prefer not to have someones "gormet" ideas.
The combination Dr Bieler wrote down was essensially "MEDICINE" per se, not something you change to taste better. This isn't a recipe like ministrone..It was the chemistry of the foods included that made it work. Hello!

Anonymous said...

Just made my first batch. After 5 surgeries in 4 months, my adrenals, as well as the rest of me, need some serious help. Doing everything I can and hoping for the best... I believe in the healing power of food, and am a big fan of Weston Price, who from what I can gather was a contemporary of Dr Bieler. Wish me luck!
KP