7.22.2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesdays: Sneaky Liver Tips & Tricks

Growing up, I used to hear adults sometimes say:

"What am I? Chopped Liver?"

I never understood the reference, but when someone says that, they usually mean "what am I? Nothing special? Not a standout? A wallflower?"

As I was planning for tonight's meal, I noticed that I needed to defrost some liver to chop and blend into the ground beef for tonight's sloppy joes. The whole point of doing this is to add more nutrition and all the benefits of liver without compromising the taste for picky eaters!

Then, it hit me! I get it now! Chopped liver! It's not supposed to be a standout! It's supposed to be a "wallflower" of sorts! Now the reference totally makes sense!

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Easy Sneaking Liver Tips

I buy whole beef livers farm direct, and they come frozen and they're just large. I never use a whole liver in one meal, so I thaw the liver partially and cut into ice-cube sized chunks, so they are roughly 2 oz each. I refreeze these chunks on a tray, and then transfer them to a freezer bag so that they are always accessible. That way, if I need to thaw 1/4 cup of liver, I'll just take out two cubes and thaw them so that they can become chopped liver!

Here are some other ways to use your frozen liver chunks:

  • Blend 1 cube into your morning smoothie (make sure your beef liver is from a clean, reputable farmer, and that it's been frozen for 14 days or more). I promise you won't taste it, and you'll get the benefits of raw liver!
  • Cut the raw liver into pea sized chunks and swallow them whole, like pills. Chase down with your favorite juice or kombucha.
  • Grate frozen liver onto scrambled or fried eggs (this is especially good for toddlers!)
  • Conveniently pop 1 in the blender for every cup of chicken broth you use to enhance the nutritional value of blended soups.
  • Make liver rice.

So, why in the world would you want to eat raw liver?

Mainly because raw liver contains all of the nutrients that are lost during exposure to high heat, particularly heat-sensitive B12. B12 is so important for overall health, both physical and mental. It's known as the anti-depressant vitamin. It's only available in raw animal foods, such as dairy and meat.

Other benefits liver:

  • An excellent source of high-quality protein
  • Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
  • All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12
  • One of our best sources of folic acid
  • A highly usable form of iron
  • Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
  • An unidentified anti-fatigue factor
  • CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
  • A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.

Source

I highly recommend trying some of these sneaky liver tips, especially if you are pregnant or nursing. Liver is great, but because it's so nutrient dense, you need only eat it about once a week.

For other Kitchen Tips, visit Tammy's Recipes!

6 comments:

Kimi Harris said...

Great post,tips and information!

Susan said...

Christina was telling me about some beef for sale by the quarter. Do you have any info.
I would love to buy some, also lamb and chicken, if its all organic.(duh)

Michele said...

This is so good to know! Thank you! :)

It was great to see you today. Calvin & I were saying, maybe we should get our families together for a picnic dinner sometime, if you want. :)

Blessings,
Michele :)

Michele said...

Oh- and a note to Susan, above-
Last week, at the Farmer's Market, we spoke with the lady from Kookoolan Farms. They are currently taking orders for 1/4s of lamb and goat meat.

We really wanted to get some, but we don't have the freezer space for that much! :)

Michele

Carrie T said...

Kimi-

Thank you! I love your blog too!

Susan-

I can also pass some info on to you of a different supplier, but as Michele said, Kookoolan is a VERY reputable organic farm. They have high quality lamb, chickens, and beef and are well worth the price. I think they are taking orders for beef.

Michele-

It was a joy to be with you two today too! We would love a family picnic get-together! Let's chat over e-mail about the particulars!

Lauren said...

Wonderful tips! I am bit scared of trying the smoothie, but it would just be so convenient that I'll have to take the plunge. :)

Love your blog!