7.13.2008

Menu Plan Moday: 7/14-7/20

Wow! It's hard to believe that we are heading toward the ides of July already. From the perspective of the calendar, it seems that summer's halfway over. In terms of the growing season, it seems we've only just begun!



My fridge is busting at the seams with local produce from our CSA and farmer's market, and my freezer is full of meat recently purchased through our local Weston Price co-op. On Friday I took home a box of beef tallow for costing $0.50 per pound! This is top-notch organic, grass-fed beef with the second-highest levels of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which means that this tallow is really good for us! And at $0.50 per pound, it's a real bargain!



Along with the beef, I just picked up my order for half of a lamb to store in the freezer. I estimated that we (my family of four) would get about 30 meals out of the lamb,and so it comes out to roughly $4 per meal for the lamb. That's a great deal for such high quality, healthy lamb! By the way, if you are reading this and are local to Portland, OR, and you would like to know more about the co-op through which I am able to purchase these foods, please feel free to contact me.

All that to say, my goal this week is to use what I have on hand; especially my fridge full of produce including cauliflower, lettuce, broccoli, kohlrabi, beets, cabbage, and zucchini. I also have several eggs to use, so here's hoping I won't need to go to the grocery store at all this week!

Monday:
B: Pesto scrambled eggs
L: Refried baked beans topped with cheese, sauteed veggies (make extra for Tuesday's lunch)
D: Cheeseburger wraps with french fries and salad

To do: Defrost and marinate lamb for Tuesday, make sauerkraut, soak pecans

Tuesday:
B: Hidden veggie smoothies with quinoa porridge
L: Veggie fritters (leftover sauteed veggies with leftover pancake batter)
D: Lamb kabobs with veggies and salad

To do: Go blueberry picking! Soak quinoa, make crispy pecans

Wednesday:
B: granola with milk and fresh berries, turkey sausage for Jonathan
L: qunioa tabouleh, cheese/veggie quesadillas
D: Lentil-pecan patties and a side of salad

To do: Defrost fish stock & whole chicken

Thursday:
B: breakfast sandwiches (sausages and cheddar sandwiched between leftover pancakes)
L: miso soup (fish broth, carrots, cabbage, scallions, kelp, miso)
D: Quinoa-stuffed roast chicken

To do: Pack snacks for beach day trip, start crock-stock with chicken carcass

Friday:
B: eggs fried in butter w/ cortido on the side
L: TBD--we'll be at the beach (maybe we'll bring leftovers?)
D: TBD-- we'll probably eat out; perhaps seafood?

Saturday:
B: waffles with hidden zucchini and fried eggs
L: leftovers
D: garlic hot dogs, steamed broccoli, salad

Sunday:
L: leftovers
D: green popcorn, cheese, apples, and chicken "fingers" (leftover chicken from Thursday)

For more inspiring menu ideas, visit The Organizing Junkie!

7 comments:

Iconography Girl said...

ooooooo! I like the new look!

How do you do it all?!? I can barely plan dinner for 3-4 days ahead, let alone complete meals for the entire week, plus purchase all the yummy, healthy, organic things you do. You are an inspiration! I guess I need to take baby steps (and maybe just copy parts of your menu plan! :) )

Bel said...

There are some unusual sounding food items there like green popcorn!? And the pecan patties sound delish. What a great, well-thought-out menu!

I came here through MPM. Thanks. xx

Michele said...

Have fun at the beach! :) We love getting seafood, too, when we have the chance.

Thanks again for the milk!
Blessings,
Michele :)

Carrie T said...

IG~
Baby steps indeed! I'm not sure how YOU do it with your three little ones! But I think starting with a simple menu plan is key. I think even you gave me the idea of "Monday= beef, Tuesday = chicken, etc". You can start with that kind of template. If you notice, from week to week my breakfast routine is totally the same. Monday is eggs, Tuesday smoothies, Wednesday is oatmeal or granola, etc. Lunches are a time to use up leftovers, plus utilize fresh veggies in salads. Dinners are where the creative energy comes into play. I try to use up what I have in the freezer/fridge/cupboards. Start by making a list of what you have on hand, what your family loves, and create a menu plan. Also, I've made Saturday "hot dog night" (easy for Vespers!) and Sunday "green popcorn night" because it's easy, quick, and helps us keep the Sabbath in a way so I'm not cooking too much.

As for getting all the groceries--we make the farmer's market a family outing and get as much as we can for the week there (usually we spend under $20 for all the produce and some of the meat we'll use!) The rest of the meat is just stored in the freezer. I can help you; just e-mail me if you want more tips girl!

Bel, thanks for visiting! I keep forgetting to link the green popcorn recipe.I will post it again. I'll post the lentil-pecan recipe too!

Michele, thanks for visiting! It was my pleasure to get the milk!

Christina said...

I have fallen slightly off the meal planning bandwagon. Seems to happen during the summer. I think it is because of not as much structure in the day (like when Big P is in school, everything is structured even down to what day of the week I go grocery shopping and where, etc.). Using the old blog would be a great way to have some sort of accoutability in meal planning, too. I may have to try that route (although, not today:)
And thanks for the recipes and links.

Kimi Harris said...

what do you use your tallow for? I have some rendered suet (tallow) in my freezer, but am not sure what it's best in. I would love to hear how you use it!

Carrie T said...

Christina,

You're welcome! thanks for visiting. The blog really helps me stay accoutable as well. Meal planning has really helped me save money, time and gas as well!


Kimi,

I am going to make a post in response to your question~ stay tuned!