7.14.2008

This one's for my mama: Peanut Sauce

Recently, my dear mother and I had the priviledge of attending one of the open-air concerts at our local zoo. We brought the kiddos and I had to pack a quick dinner that was tasty and transportable. The result? Thai lettuce wraps with a peanut sauce dip.

I basically made indian liver rice but cooked it in 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup water with a TBS of Thai Red Curry paste and threw in some sauteed frozen scallops at the end. I wrapped this in fresh romaine and served it with this peanut sauce from _Nourishing Traditions_ and garnished with cilantro and chopped scallions.

My dear mother loved this and has been asking me to post the peanut sauce. Here's hoping you'll like it too!

Peanut Sauce (adapted from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon)

6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped
1 T extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup natural peanut butter OR freshly ground roasted peanuts (I used the former)
1/2 cup minus 2 T of soy sauce or tamari
3 T rice vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup whole coconut milk or warm chicken stock (I think I used coconut milk!)

Place ginger, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add all remaining ingredients except stock/coconut milk, and pulse until well blended and transfer to a saucepan. Gradually mix in stock or coconut milk, whisking thoroughly.

This could also be thinned by more water or stock and made into a peanut soup!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Iconography Girl said...

That recipe looks great!! I've been searching for a good -- and healthy -- peanut sauce recipe for the longest time.

Encouraging to hear about the zoo concert, too. I really want us to try one before the summer is over.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!

I was just trying to find your recipe online- and I see you posted it. I'm definitely going to make this tonite!!

We must do the zoo/picnic again soon!!

Love- marm

thanks for calling me your "dear" mom - makes my heart all warm & fuzzy!!!

maria said...

That is a really good recipe, even without all the ingredients!
It's a little too salty for us, so I marked mine to lower the soy sauce. And mmm, is 1/2 cup minus 2T not 1/3 cup? :-D
2T is 1oz, 1/2 cup is 4 oz, 1/3 cup is 3 oz.

maria.

help me write an essay said...

I even din't knew that such combination could give so wonderful results. amazing recipe, so yamme

Николай Безлюдный said...

With the service I am about to suggest, you no longer have to worry about your college assignments. http://star-writers.com is the right place to be if you need the best paper.

Nick said...

Thank you for the post. And here is an interesting article for reading http://findwritingservice.com/blog/discrimination-essay-do-you-respect-other-people

Nick said...

Great post. nick720072