10.19.2008

Kefir for Kids


Kefir has always been a mainstay in my family; but up until now, the kids usually only had it in smoothies once or twice a week. Since I always have plenty of kefir on hand, I figured I needed to step it up and serve it more often. Again, reading _The Body Ecology Diet_ reminded me of the immense benefits of kefir for healing and restoring the microflora of the gut.

For the past two weeks or so, our bedtime routine has included a glass of kefir. Rich in protein, minerals, and probiotics (not to mention many other things: go here for more info), kefir is the perfect bedtime snack. Its high calcium and magnesium content calms the nervous system and the profuse amount of probiotics helps to digest dinner!

I've noticed that both of my sweet kiddos (Jonathan dodged the camera in the picture above, but you can see his orange straw representing for him!) LOVE their nighttime kefir. It couldn't be simpler to make. Here's what I do:

I use 3 simple ingredients: stevia, alcohol-free vanialla, and raw goat's milk kefir (for info on how to make it and get starters, visit this web site). Cinnamon is also a good addition. Basically, any sugar free "spice" you like can be added, but my kids are into vanilla and/or cinnamon right now. Trader Joe's sells an alcohol-free glycerine-based vanilla extract for a little over $3.00.
Night-night Kefir

1 cup of goat kefir
8 drops stevia
1/8 tsp alcohol-free vanilla flavor
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Serve it with a straw (doesn't every kid love a straw?!?!) and know that your kids will have incredible nourishment throughout the night.

Since giving her the kefir nightly, my daughter has slept soundly through the night (whereas before she was waking up once or twice screaming for something to eat or drink).

Incidentally, this is an awesome "good morning" drink as well! I sometimes just have a glass of kefir in the morning and find that often it's all I need for several hours.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend investing in a milk-kefir grain. Read the links I posted above; this drink is amazing.

I will post a recipe soon on how I make delicious kefir soda pop!

Stay tuned....

9 comments:

cheeseslave said...

Mmmm what a fun idea!

Christiana said...

ahhh i had forgotten about the "blob"!!!! What a sweet picture of kirsten.

Carrie T said...

No problem, Christiana~

Let me know when you want to come by for the blob!

Anonymous said...

She is so so cute...........

Great blog by the way.........

I started eating organic.........and yikes I am eating too many bean dishes......organic meat is way expensive and the bean dishes are great............but too much starch as you say......

I eat 2/3 can of days.. for instance........is that too much beans .. ?? (do you know). thanks if you do know the answer and reply.

I did get organic eggs.....and can make them for lunch in lieu of the beans ..

Betty Ann of NYC (mom of 3 .. 25, 23 and 13)

darcy said...

That's a great recipe. Kids always love the sweet stuff. : )

I found this recipe i'm sure kids will love too! Kefir Soup.

Heather Brandt said...

I looked at the web site that sells kefir starter and I'm confused about whether you use the water kefir or regular kefir for drinks like this recipe you shared?

heatherlbrandt (at) verizon (dot)net

Rachel M said...

Thanks for the tips! We won't drink kefir "straight" because of it's strong taste... so I appreciate these easy things to make it more yummy!

Did you ever post your kefir soda recipe? I didn't see it, but would love it! Thanks!

dhan said...

whether the difference between kefir and yogurt?
Which is better between them?
whether kefir has the same flavor of yogurt?
why kefir good for children?

order a thesis said...

I think some find kefir too sour on its own and prefer to add flavors or sweeteners. Frozen fruits can be mixed with kefir in a blender to make a smoothie.