10.05.2008

My Favorite Slow Cooker Recipe: Taco Meat w/ Hidden Veggies

This recipe is adapted from my favorite Slow-Cooker book; Healthy Crockery Cookery by Mabel Hoffman. I discussed this book and outlined some of my favorite recipes back in this post.

Taco Meat w/ Hidden Veggies
serves 6-8

My family eats this like it's going out of style! It's great for a nourishing lunch or dinner. I use it to make tacos, burritos, taco salad, or just top with avocado and fresh tomatoes and leave it alone!

1 pound ground beef or turkey ( preferably from organic/free range/grass fed animals)
3 scallions, including tops, sliced
1 large bunch spinach , wash, stemmed, and cut into 1/4 " slices
2 carrots, peeled and shredd
1 packet dry taco seasonings (I make my own to avoid MSG found in most all packaged taco seasonings using garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, coriander, oregano , and sea salt. I just let the spirit lead when it comes to amounts, but it's never been bad! )

To make your own taco seasoning mix, check out this website.

Directions: Mix crumbled meat with taco seasoning s and place in slow cooker. Layer with the vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until onions are tender.

Note: Despite the inclusion of spinach, it does not detract at all from the overall flavor and texture. Rather, it absorbs the flavors very impressively and melds quite well with the meat. So much so that my children never bat an eye when eating it!

5 comments:

Michele said...

I've been looking forward to seeing this recipe. Thanks, Carrie! :)

Thank you for having us to tea, and for the clothes for Gen! :) It was so nice to see you.

Blessings,
Michele

CDB said...

Thanks for posting it! I have ground beef and was going to do something else with it (GF greek style meatballs in tom. sauce) but decided to change my meal plan and made this instead. it smells so good cooking in the crockpot! And, i already have an idea of what to do with it for thurs. evening's dinner (now see what you did? totally changed my week's meal plan). I had only a half a carrot so I put in some frozen pureed squash. everything else i have on hand (always have rice tortillas in the freezer).

Lisa said...

Do you put the ground meet into the slow cooker uncooked/raw?

Carrie T said...

Lisa,

Great question; I'm sorry I failed to clarify that.

YES, the meat goes in raw and is fully cooked in about 4 hours! It couldn't be easier!

Carrie

Anonymous said...

This is completely genius! I WILL be trying this. Where do I find other family (and very picky-kid)friendly ideas like this? Thanks!