10.27.2008

This Week's Menu


Menu planning tip of the week: Make delicious, healhty whole-grain (even gluten-free!) waffles from scratch with a penny's worth of grains in your blender! Make up a double or triple batch Saturday morning (or whenever) and freeze the extras for busy weekday morning breakfasts! Who says convenience food can't be healthy and cheap? (For the blender waffle recipe, go here )
This weekend was VERY busy.....women's retreat at church all day Saturday, followed by a busy day on Sunday. My dear sister from out of town is visiting (and she's 30 weeks pregnant!) and so we were celebrating with a baby shower and lots of other social activities. So, basically "my dog ate my homework"....er, that's why it's Monday night and I'm just now figuring out my menu!
Without even having time to go to the Farmer' s market, I'm working off of what's left in my produce drawer and pulling out meat from the freezer and pantry staples. This is actually a fun challenge: what can I pull together based on what I have?!?!
So here's what I've got:
Monday:
B: Fried eggs w/ cortido and leftover zucchini/apple/coconut pancakes
L: leftovers from my sister's shower
D: shepherd's pie (leftover morocan lamb, carrots, onions, green beans, topped with purreed cauliflower)
Tuesday:
B: strawberry kefir smoothies, bacon, and millet pudding
L: out at the Panederia in Newberg (where you can get authenitc, hand-made corn tortillas and tongue!!)
D: Crock pot chicken w/ sauteed veggies (warning: link contains audio "pop-up".sigh)
Wednesday:
B: squash pudding
L: fish roe and veggies
D: Savory Lentil Pancakes (Dosas), Sauerkraut, Curried Carrots& Onions
Thursday:
B: coconut pancakes w/ zucchini & apples
L: tuna sushi wraps
D: mexican chicken soup
Friday:
B: quinoa-millet waffles
L: Miso soup, seaweed veggie saute
D: Baked red skin potatoes topped with avocado, sauerkraut, and steamed veggies
Saturday:
B:smoothies
L: left overs
D: hot dogs, kraut, veggie saute
Sunday:
D: TBA

8 comments:

Betsy said...

I made those very waffles this weekend and popped them in the freezer. I'm eating breakfast like a queen this week! :)

CDB said...

YOu and I had almost the exact same weekend! I kind of feel a little sorry for our husbands!
Waffles... last night, since we did not have our normal weekend big breakfast, we had breakfast for dinner (which pavlos loves). And I made GF waffles. I always have waffles in the freezer so I needed to replenish my supply. they are an easy before school breakfast for the kids!

Mimi said...

I also had the same weekend (sans the shower on Sunday) I like the idea of waffles for dinner too. But, only with whipped cream and strawberries, grin!

Could my email feel the love of the lentil pancake recipe?

Jen said...

Those waffles are wonderful. The first time I made them, I was surprised at how light and tender they were. I make them every week. I use quinoa as the second grain and add in a banana and some natural peanut butter. The kids can't get enough of them. They are also good with blueberries or raspberries mixed into the batter. Yum. I am getting hungry thinking of it. By the way, I don't think I ever thanked up for the menu planning information you sent. It has been so helpful and made my life much easier

Rebeca said...

I want to try that recipe, and have already sent the link to a gluten free friend. I found you through Mimi's blog and am glad to have stopped by. I'm also an Orthodox mama, in Oregon, seeking to make healthy food for my little family.
Bessings!
Rebeca

Angela's Kitchen said...

We freeze up waffles, too. I love that sites cornbread...

You menu, as always, is great. Thank you for sharing!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Hi, Carrie,
I dropped your book off at your house the other day. It seemed like you weren't home. Hope you had a good weekend!

Thank you so much for the clothes for Gen. What perfect timing, with this cooler weather! She loves them! :)

Hope to see you again soon.
Blessings,
Michele

custom writing papers said...

I think a gluten-free diet may exclude oats. Medical practitioners are divided on whether oats are an allergen to celiac disease sufferers or if they are cross-contaminated in milling facilities by other allergens