11.25.2008

Holiday Haitus and a My New Favorite Produce Market

I'm sorta pondering cutting way down on blogging during this holiday season. I may not completely shut down, but I just feel like right now there are more important things for me to be doing with my free time (mainly just being quiet and, well, just "being") than blogging about what I eat.

The point of fasting is to not obsess about what we eat, so I'm trying not to fall into temptation by writing about food right now!

The fast is going well, so far. I've been able to keep things pretty simple around here with lots of blended veggie or lentil soups, seafood, and roasted and/or stir-fried veggies. We have been doing more grains/starches lately just because that's what we have left when we don't have meat. We're still definitely sticking with the alkalizing grains (millet, quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat). About once a week I'm serving beans. I am still just trying to maximize the veggies.

Speaking of Veggies

For ye local Portlanders, I am happy to say I've discovered the best produce market in town. It's SO amazingly wonderful. The prices are incredible, and the quality is as good or better than New Season's or Whole Foods. It's a little unassuming outdoor covered tent produce place on SE Hawthorne Blvd called Uncle Paul's Produce. The prices are so good that I now make a trip across town once a week just to go there.

I come home with two bags full of veggies (I mean brimming full, and we eat lots of veggies) for about $20. This is high quality, organic, locally-grown produce. And when you purchase from Uncle Paul, you support a local mom and pop organization without a lot of overhead. No, you don't get to experience wine and cheese sampling nor can you buy organic dental floss here (it's JUST produce and some assorted local jams and nuts) but it's totally worth it.

If you own a Chinook Book, you'll find 2 coupons for $5 off a $25 purchase. The first time I went, I didn't even have enough in my very full cart to equal $25!!! I had to add extra apples. That amount of produce at Whole Foods would have cost me close to $50. No joke. I made the mistake of shopping at WF a few weeks ago and realized the error of my ways at the cash register.

In tight economic times like this, we can vote with our dollar to support big chains, or we can give our money to local businesses that pass their savings on to you. If you're not in Portland, do you have a favorite little "mom and pop" produce market you like to support? If so, do tell!

5 comments:

maria said...

Thanks for that tip! I should check it out, its close to us. And maybe when you go again, we can coordinate a playdate :-D

Whole Foods is definitely bad for the wallet. Even New Seasons is cheaper.

Jennifer said...

I stumbled on your blog after seeing it listed on a few blogs I frequent. I've browsed through, and I love it.

I'm currently gluten free. After a sudden, mysterious medical problem showed up after my second child was born, and doctors were just scratching their heads, I saw a Naturopathic Doctor. I've read Nourishing Traditions as well. I absolutely LOVE that book!

I've been thinking of starting a blog about my health and dietary habits. I should probably do that soon.

Again, love the blog. I'm adding it to my list.

Angela's Kitchen said...

Have a good break and fast. Maybe the time from the computer is a bit of a fast also? I think that is a brilliant plan. I am planning on scaling back as well over this season and am stocking some posts for the month of December to get some of my readers through...

Your blog is such a blessing. I hope you feel are able to enjoy your time with your family and focusing on the importance of the upcoming season. Bless you! Thank you for all you share!

Kimberly said...

I live in northeast Denver, Colorado. I buy our produce from June-Nov at Berry Patch Farms. It is an all organic fruit and veggie farm owned and run by a husband and wife team. I practically lived there this year and am lost now that they are closed for the winter.

dissertation uk said...

I liked the server is very compact and informative at the same time facing the first page. Constructively and with taste.