Update: For more nourishing holiday treats, visit The Nourishing Gourmet !
The holiday season is full of culinary temptations, for sure. I've been pretty good about avoiding the cookies, fudge, and candy canes, but there are some treats that I really do miss, such as peppermint bark. Fortunately, I came up with a very satisfying sugar free alternative packed with good calories!
Sugar Free Peppermint Bark
(This recipe is approximate, adjust the flavorings to taste!)
1 cup Raw Cacao Nibs
1/2 cup Crispy Almonds
1.5 cups coconut oil
12 drops Vanilla Creme Stevia liquid (or use regular stevia with 1/2 tsp vanilla)
1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
dash sea salt
1. Melt coconut oil in medium saucepan over low heat.
2. Add Stevia, Vanilla,(if using unflavored stevia), Peppermint Extract, and sea salt. Mix well.
3. Meanwhile, coarsely chop almonds and cacao nibs in food processor. Fold into melted coconut oil mixture.
4. Pour mixture onto parchment-lined cookie sheet. Put in freezer (or, as I did, outside on my back porch!) long enough for it to solidify.
5. Break apart and enjoy, but store bark in the freezer for best results!
Notes: Remember to adjust the flavors to suit your taste. Always start with less stevia and then add a drop at a time until the desired taste is achieved. This is delicious is completely guilt free!