12.09.2008

Thinking Outside the [Cereal] Box

Another myth often believed by traditional foodies is that good food can't possibly be quick and easy to prepare.

Doesn't everything have to soak for like 2 weeks before it can be consumed?

Thankfully no! Now granted, many of my breakfasts in my menu plans require lots of advanced preparation, but recently I concocted a deliciously satisfying breakfast "cereal" of sorts that had all the trappings of cereal: milk, crunch, and sweetness-- but without all the yucky extruded, processed grains involved.

I call it "Apple-Cinnamon Crunch" and its 100% RAW!!

Here's what I did:

Apple Cinnamon Crunch: The non-Cereal

Serves 4

1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Stick Cinnamon, ground (or approx. 1/2 tsp)
1 Cup Crispy Walnuts
1/2 Cup Raisins (optional)
1/2 Cup Buckwheat Sprouts (optional)
Raw milk or cream, or real almond milk

1. Shred the apple into large bowl.

2. Toss with cinnamon.

3. Add walnuts, buckwheat sprouts, and raisins, if using.

4. Top with desired amount of milk or cream.

This alkalizing breakfast is light, yet filling, fresh, and alive!

Photo courtesy www.localhs.com

6 comments:

Susan Sophia said...

MMMMMMM...sounds delicious!

Mary (Mary's Nest) said...

Hi Carrie,

I just came across your site today and I was so pleased with what I read. I am a WAP fan also. I am so intrigued by your cereal and am anxious to try it.

Also - I noticed in your picture on the front page of your blog you have some sort of icons - looks like the Blessed Mother and possibly a saint. Are you Catholic?

Thanks so much for the great site.

All the best,

Mary

Christy Sumerfield said...

I shall use the freshly foraged walnuts my husband collected in the back yard! :)

Kelly the Kitchen Kop said...

Hi Carrie,

LOVE this idea, and your title is perfect!

Kelly

Carrie T said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Christy, let us know how it goes!

Kelly, thanks for your encouragement! [If you haven't visited Kelly's blog before, it's awesome].

Mary,

Thanks for visiting! Welcome! Your guess was close; I'm Eastern Orthodox! The other saint pictured is St. John the Theologian; my son's patron saint!

I cant' wait to visit your site! Thanks for the comment!

Kimi Harris said...

Oh wow, that sounds wonderful. Will definitely try it!