1.11.2009

Community-Supported Agriculture


Back in April, and throughout last summer, I talked all about my lovely CSA through Sun Gold Farm. A CSA is Community-Supported Agriculture and it is an ultra-local way of getting quality food directly from the farm. This is just a friendly reminder to begin thinking about possibly joining a CSA, because chances are, sign-ups are already beginning and when spring comes around chances are it will be too late!



According to LocalHarvest.org, a non-profit organization committed for furthering the local food movement and to connecting people with the farmers who grow their food, a CSA is:

"... a way for the food buying public to create a relationship with a farm and to receive a weekly basket of produce. By making a financial commitment to a farm, people become "members" (or "shareholders," or "subscribers") of the CSA. Most CSA farmers prefer that members pay for the season up-front, but some farmers will accept weekly or monthly payments. Some CSAs also require that members work a small number of hours on the farm during the growing season"

On the Local Harvest web page, you can type in your zip code and find a list of the nearest CSAs! All I can say is have fun, because you will be amazed at what exists right in your back yard that you don't even know about!



For example, Pumpkin Ridge Gardens, just a few miles west of my home, (and heretofore unknown to me!) offers a 52 week subscription to their CSA which includes home deliveries!! The list of harvest offerings is huge, and it includes eggs!


Wouldn't you know, their subscription is full!



I say, good for them, and good for every one of their members.


Not to be too doomsday, but with the economy "hemorrhaging" (to borrow the phrase on the front page of our paper today) now is as good a time as any to wean from your reliance upon food shipped in from afar and make a connection with a local, committed farmer.



You won't be disappointed!


6 comments:

Natalie said...

Thank you for this post, explains well what CSA is! I had to look into it myself a couple of weeks ago and learned a little about it myself =) What a great idea!! I am planning to join one.

Lisa said...

We've been with our CSA for two seasons and love it. I had to learn to meal plan and cook somewhat differently, but it's been great. I heartily recommend joining a CSA to everyone!

Mimi said...

We've been with our CSA for something like 10 years, and I LOVE it!

Marfa said...

The deadline for the CSA nearby here (Turner Farm is about 5 miles away) was Nov 1st, but we got "in." Yippee! I'm excited to learn more about what goes on there, to help our personal garden thrive! Maybe in a few years we'll be more self-sufficient.

Carrie T said...

Good for ya'll!!! I'm so glad to hear that people around the country are supporting local agriculture! And yes, Marfa, may we all work toward self-sustainability!

Anne said...

Wow, I had no idea there was a deadline to sign up. Thanks for giving me the heads up on this!