1.31.2009

Grain-Free Indian Flatbread

You know how sometimes you google a recipe you want to find and it's a bust? Well, that happened tonight; I wanted grain-free Indian Naan (a tall order, I know...but surely someone in the great blogosphere had done it?) Alas, no luck. So, in the absence of a recipe, I modified a grain-free "skillet bread" recipe and came up with a delicous, grain-free, savory Indian flatbread to accompany a delicious, frugal, and nourishing curry I'd made.

These were seriously so delicous that they were gone before the camera could capture them. The ingredients were simple and they came together rather quickly:

Non-Naan (with variations)

1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup coconut milk
1.5 tsp olive oil
1 cup almond meal/flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
ghee or coconut oil for frying

In small bowl, whisk together the egg, baking soda, coconut milk, and olive oil until frothy.

Meanwhile, melt about 1 Tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil in a skillet. When ready to fry the bread, mix the almond flour and salt into the wet mixture and pour onto hot skillet, like pancakes.

For Garlic-Onion Flatbread:

Saute the following in ghee or coconut oil until soft:

1/2 cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)

Remove from pan. Proceed with recipe above. After batter is mixed, add in:

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Enjoy with a grain-free meal of chicken curry with a curried vegetable, such as cauliflower!

5 comments:

Kimberly Anne said...

Now that I am attempting a gluten free diet, this sounds so wonderful. I think I will try it. Thanks for the idea!

Kimberly
www.hartkeisonline.com
another realfoodmedia.com blogger

anne said...

ok - i cannot see what I did wrong but something went a miss. The mixture is not pourable like pancakes. It's more like play-dough. I tried to form little patties but they fell apart. Any hints?

Anonymous said...

Mine was too runny and a bit salty. BUT, I will try it again.

Anonymous said...

I just made this bread, it was great but I altered the recipe. It took a lot more flour to make it chunky and I added salt to make it spicy, then, I rolled it out on wax paper sprinkled with coconut flour making it flat. Fry in very hot olive oil, it cooks really fast. I also made some with chopped up parsley, dill and garlic. I think it is really good.

Rodger said...

I tried this recipe, and followed the directions, but what I ended up with was a pancake. Not naan bread, really. It was more like just bread. There is a certain texture and consistency to naan that makes it so authentic. I expected there to be some variation of course, after using almond flour, but it just turned out to be a greasy pancake.

Honestly though, I do sincerely appreciate your effort in posting this recipe. Please do keep trying! We win some and we lose some. It is still a great success if you have 99% wins! ..Thank you for sharing your talents.