1.11.2009

Menu Plan Monday : Under $15 Challenge


This week I'm further challenging myself (down over 50% from last week's spending!). It turns out that my $40 last week got me more than enough to spread through this week. This week I also thought I'd do something kind of fun with my menu. I'm going to show you exactly what I have in the fridge (excluding milk and condiments), and then you can see exactly how I use it!



  • T-Bone Steak, defrosted

  • 1 red bell pepper

  • 1/2 butternut squash, cooked

  • 1 cabbage

  • 2 bags carrots

  • 3 head broccoli

  • leftover red lentil stew

  • raw cheddar

  • turkey broth

  • miso

  • zucchini (3)

  • eggs

  • smoked salmon

  • coconut flour zucchini bread

  • liverwurst

  • chicken-apple sausage

Read on to see how these will be used in my Under $15 menu!

Monday:
B: squash pudding "pie", smoked salmon scramble
L: leftover red lentil soup, carrot sticks, raw cheese
D: T-bone steak with sauteed red peppers, onions, and broccoli

Tuesday:
B: coconut flour zucchini bread
L: liverwurst slices, raw cheese, pickles, carrot sticks
D: Sausage & Veggie Stir-Fry

Wednesday:
B: Coconut Tapioca Pudding (w/ stevia and agave)
L: Miso Seaweed Soup in broth
D: Peruvian Quinoa Soup ( uses basically all the veggies and then some!)

Thursday:
B: kefir smoothies and coconut bread w/ peanut butter
L : sauteed green beans, onions, and bacon
D: zucchini-beef bake

Friday:
B: gluten-free waffles (come back on Wednesday if you'd like to see this recipe!)
L: leftover Quinoa Soup
D: vegetarian white bean chili

Saturday:
B: smoothies
L: leftovers
D: spaghetti squash casserole

Sunday:
D: leftover vegetarian soup and tortilla chips

I only have 4 ingredients on my shopping list for this menu since I'm using everything that I have. The ingredients all together total probably $3.50 at the most! I'm fortunate to have a well-stocked pantry and freezer , otherwise I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to spend $3.50 a week on food!

For more diverse menu plans, please visit The Organizing Junkie!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey Carrie, my DH is wondering what your DH takes to work for lunch. I wonder if you have great ideas up your sleeve!!! =)

PS. What a challenge, inspirational!

Christy said...

Carrie,
Your menus are always very inspiring and healthy and budget friendly! I would love to try everything you make. Is your daughter still doing gaps?

Beverly said...

I notice that you have gluten free recipes. My son has Celiac however he also is allergic to coconuts. I am having a hard time finding things he likes in the bread dept. Any suggestions?

Carrie T said...

Hi Natalie,

I think that leftovers are the best lunches to take to work. A Thermos is great for keeping soups (or anything, really) warm if your DH does not have access (or time) to reheat the food!

Since I always make more than our family of 4 (two little ones, included!) can eat, I always try to use the leftovers for lunches.

Crispy almonds, raw cheese, and homemade pickles are among my favorite lunch items personally. I like finger foods! Smoked salmon or sardines are great too!

Overall, I think soups/leftovers are the most economical way to go for take-to-work lunches!

Thanks for asking!
Carrie

Carrie T said...

Christy,

Thanks for your encouragement! We actually are not fully doing Gaps any longer. We still are gluten, rice, oat, and cow-dairy free. We still stick to honey and fruit for sweeteners, and really limit grains, however we're not entirely Gaps due to the fact that she eats some gluten-free grains at times throughout the week (whenever the menu dictates).

Thanks for asking!

Carrie T said...

Beverly,

I'm sorry to hear about your son being Celiac AND having coconut issues! That must be tough.

Assuming there are no other allergies, I would suggest almond flour bread (it's really simple to make) www.cheeseslave.com had a post on it a while back. I bet if you do a search on her site you'd find it easily.

Otherwise, I would just use more traditional gluten-free grains if you're not concerned about carbs. Also, I really like www.scdrecipe.com because it's a great resource for the Standard Carbohydate Diet which is gluten-free and doesn't use much coconut flour if at all.

HTH!

Carrie