2.10.2009

Jennie's Macaroons: A Lower-Sugar Version




Several months ago, Cheeseslave had a discussion on her blog about these amazingly delicious, three-ingredient macaroons. The photo below is hers, as well! Thanks, Ann Marie! For months and months I had many trials (and mostly errors) trying to replicate the deliciously sweet and chewy taste of Jennie's Macaroons using only egg white, honey, and coconut. Finally, just when I gave up trying, I found someone who had already mastered it, and boy did she ever!!

I've written about Chef Rachel before, and her amazing cookbook, The Garden of Eating. I've been crazily cooking recipes from her book as I prepare to write a review of it in upcoming weeks. So far, so good! Included in this amazing resource of delicious recipes is my sought-after perfect replica recipe for Jennie's Macaroons. I hope chef Rachel won't mind if I share these delicous grain-free treats. They are a great way to use up the jars and jars of egg whites I have randomly stowed in the depths of my frige, lonesome for their yolk counterpart which had long ago disappeared into a smoothie.

"My Favorite Macaroons"
by Chef Rachel Matesz

4 large egg whites (or 1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/3 cup honey or agave nectar (I used honey)
1/4 tsp pure stevia extract powder (do not substitute liquid)
1 and 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract.
~ 2 and 1/2 cups finely shredded* coconut



1. In an impeccably clean mixer bowl, beat egg whites at highest speed until frothy.

2. Add cream of tartar and blend until so stiff that you can turn the bowl over and the egg whites don't move.

3. Slowly beat in honey, stevia, and vanilla.

4. Turn of mixer and fold in coconut, 1 cup at a time, until well blended. I needed to add more than the recipe called for, so if your mixture seems too wet, add more coconut as needed.

5. Drop by spoonfuls onto oiled parchment-lined cookie sheets.

6. Bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, or until edges are brown.

7. Remove immediately, and allow to dry on a wire rack.

*Note: Finely shredded coconut yields the best results. If you only can find medium or large-flaked (unsweetened, of course) coconut, give it a few pulses in your food processor in order to make it finer, like powder. Do NOT use coconut flour, however!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this recipe really call for 1/4 cup of stevia? Maybe you meant 1/4 teaspoon? 1/4 cup seems like an awful lot.

Marfa said...

A friend just gave us some from Trader Joe's...love them. I am going to try to make some myself!!!

Katchmo said...

Yes, I am sure it is 1/4 teaspoon. Can't wait to try these!

Our growing family said...

OH THANK YOU!!! This sounds like a perfect treat for me...except I don't have any stevia on hand...any other suggestions I could use? Extra honey?
Thanks!

Carrie T said...

So sorry! It's 1/4 tsp of course!!! I will change that right away! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Carrie T said...

Our Growing Family,

If you don't have stevia, I would try upping the honey to 1/2 cup. Add the honey gradually to make sure that the bulk factor is not compromised. You still want the egg whites relatively stiff....

By the way, Trader Joe's sells the powdered Stevia extract, if by chance you're close to a TJ's.

Also, another quick note: Use "fine" shredded coconut rather than medium or large flakes. If you only have the ladder, pulse them in the food processor a few times in order to get fine coconut.

Enjoy!

Carrie at NaturalMomstalkRadio said...

Oh I cannot WAIT to make these. Those macaroons are our absolute favorite around here and me and my youngest have issues with wheat so these are safe. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Hi! I look forward to trying these! Part of what I love about Jennie's is that they only have three ingredients. Should I learn from your lengthy trial and error process and give up on trying to make them with just coconut, honey, and egg white? I tried to make the chocolate version tonight and they didn't turn out all that well.

Anonymous said...

They look so good....I will definite try this recipe!!!!

Chef Rachel said...

Perhaps the person who made them and said they didn't turn out had used the wrong amount of stevia. I've made these more than 100 times and my cooking students and friends have enjoyed them.

Also, my original recipe lists a range for the amount of egg white (1/2 to 2/3 cup). More egg white will hold more coconut. If you only use 1/2 cup egg white you can't add that much coconut.

In my my most recent book, The Ice Dream Cookbook, I also list a variation for Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons:

For a fancy finish, melt 1 1/2 to 2 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate, then dip the bottom half of each cooled macaroon into the chocolate; place on parchment-lined tray. Drizzle more chocolate over the tops and allow to cool.

Moon_Buzzard said...

Has stevia been given FDA approval yet?

Anonymous said...

I suggest that anyone with a low sugar tolerance check the new label info on the Jennies Coconut Macaroons can. The ingredients now contain “Organic Evaporated Cane Juice” which is just another way of saying sugar. While it is true that ECJ retains some of the vitamins found in pure cane, it also contains the high sucrose levels, which many cannot tolerate. And of course the magic word “organic” means absolutely nothing. I guess they needed to reduce the amount of honey and increase the amount of cheap sweetener to save money.

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's? HAAAAAAAAA. Jennies Macaroons is the best of the best. I tried to copy the recipe but it was not even half as sweet

Anonymous said...

I like Jennies chocolate macaroons and want to make them myself, since I eat so doggone many of them. How much cocoa powder should I add to this recipe?

Rose said...

Sounds DELICIOUS! I'm having my husband buy the ingredients when he gets off work so that I can make the macaroons this evening. :) Question: you said to place spoonfuls onto OILED parchment paper.. what kind of oil should be used? I'm guessing coconut is preferrable?

Thanks for sharing!

Aun Aqui
aunaqui.wordpress.com

Carrie @ OrganicThrifty said...

I hope they turned out yummy! Yes, coconut oil is great to use for the parchment!

Blessings,
Carrie

Gigi said...

These sound great. In all the recipes I've seen on sites, people use coconut oil, coconut, coconut flour, but always sweeten with other sweetners. would it be a good thing to use coconut nectar and/or coconut sugar. I know stevia is great, but for instance in the Macaroon recipe, how would it be to use coconut nectar instead of the honey? I am just curious why with all the coconut use, no one ever uses the coconut sweetners. Would love feedback on this. Thank you

Rikki said...

Thank you sooo much for this delicious recipe! I made these macaroons about an hour ago and just finished my fourth one! I can't wait for my husband to try these :)

Elaine said...

I just made these and managed to do it without the Cream of Tartar. I blended 3 egg whites for several min, then added 2T honey and 1T coconut palm sugar. Then I blended in 1.5 cups of shredded coconut (might have been slightly more). When I put it on the baking sheet (greased with coconut oil) it wasn't sticking together very well, but I baked it anyway for 12min at 375. Then after they'd cooled I put them in the fridge for 1 hour. They are slightly less sweet than Jennie's but otherwise taste exactly the same! I would add in one more Tablespoon of honey if I wanted them the same sweetness. Mmmmm!