2.01.2009

Menu Plan Monday: Grain Free under $50!


After another week of grain-free I can honestly say I feel really great! My pants are even feeling looser around the waist! We are doing the GAPS diet for the sake of my daughter, but it's such a healthy way of eating (and my dear husband could use GAPS too!) that we do it for the whole family. In the spirit of thriftiness, I am putting together menus that are low-cost, and nourishing! Here are some recent thoughts I had about eating no-grain on a budget. This weeks menu cost less than $40 at the cash register, however I did not purchase the meat (I have a stockpile in my freezer that I purchased off the bone in bulk), so I estimate that if you add the cost of the meat, it would be about $50, even if you were to purchase the meat at the store. Read on to see this week's Grain Free menu!

Monday:
B: Blueberry Honey Muffins (coconut flour) w/ fresh strawberries, green smoothie
L: herbed burger patties w/ salad and veggies (leftover)
D: white bean & turkey chili w/ lime and avocado, salad loaded with sunflower seeds, veggies, and homemade dressing

Tuesday:
B: Italian crustless quiche (from Garden of Eating)
L: leftover chili
D: Indian lamb w/ apricots served with curried cauliflower, peas, and tomatoes

Wednesday:
B:
butternut squash pudding, sausages (for the kids)
L: miso seaweed soup
D: fish roe cakes (Nourishing Traditions recipe, but use almond flour in place of bread crumbs), Better Brussels Sprouts (from Garden of Eating), salad



Thursday:
B:
Leftover Quiche
L: leftover Indian Lamb
D: honey-mustard chicken drumsticks, salad



Friday:
B:
tropical smoothies (coconut milk, frozen bananas, mangoes, pineapple, coconut oil)
L: leftover fish roe cakes, veggies
D: cream of veggie soup, grain-free flatbread, salad



Saturday:
B:
almond butter pancakes
L: leftovers
D: veggie-laden sloppy joes (Kerry Ann's recipe!)



Sunday:
B: honey muffins (for the kids)
L: hot dogs, leftovers
D: braised lamb w/ green beans, broccoli-feta parboiled salad, homemade ice cream (TBA)

For more deliciously inspiring menus for the week, visit The Organizing Junkie!



10 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Hi, Carrie,
Thanks so much for your e-mail. I'm running out the door, but wanted to let you know I got it. :) We had a great time with you at the zoo! Gen's stlll taking about the giraffe.

We make crustless quiches a lot, too! :) They're so quick & easy, and delicious. You know, I've never made Brussels Sprouts, but Calvin loves them. I don't know what do do with them, though! :)

What do you use for your sloppy joes? Do you make GF buns? I'd love to see a recipe, if you have one. That sounds yummy!

Blessings,
Michele

Christy said...

How do you make your herbed burger patties? That sounds delicious!

mamabiz said...

Thanks for this! I'm thinking of trying this menu next week. So many intriguing meals.

Rane iremembersleep ( at ) yahoo.com said...

I want to ask what were the
type of signs your daughter
was having that made you change
her diet? My daughter has a
weak stomach and loose bms all
of the time. She often throws
up...she is 7. The doctors
just tell me to give her tums!
She just says its ok mommy,
it is all she knows but I know
it is not normal. It makes
me sad to see her suffer. She
eats very little and keeps
down even less. I came across
you site by chance but wonder
if this could be what bothers
her.
Thank you for your time.
Rane

Rane --> "iremembersleep (at) yahoo.com said...

p.s. your site is nice.

Carrie T said...

Rane,

It sounds like your daughter would definitely be a candidate for GAPS. I would reccommend you check out the website www.gapsdiet.com, or look into the Standard Carbohydrate Diet page for kids called "pecanbread.com". Both are really informative.

My daughter had very loose stools with undigested matter, as well as fatty stools. Sometimes she was really constipated. She hardly every ate much and did her fair share of throwing up. She also had signs of candida and chronic vaginal yeast infections.

It does sounds that something's not right with your daughter and I'd highly recommend starting the diet and if that doesn't work, take her to a trusted wholistic practitioner. I'd be glad to speak to you more about this offline!

Carrie T said...

Michele,

For sloppy joes, we would serve them on rice (when we did grains) and now we'll just serve them with veggies. The meat mix is just so good you hardly miss the bread!!!

Yeah, and believe it or not, there are some amazing ways to make Brussels Spouts yummy! So cheap too!

Carrie T said...

P.s. Michele,

I think Bob's Red Mill has a recipe for GF buns :)

Good luck!

Carrie T said...

Christy,

It's a little different each time, depending on my mood. I always do sea salt and pepper, and if I'm going for Italian I add oregano, basil, thyme. Fresh, if possible. Anything tastes amazing, depending upon what you feel like.

That day, I used Italian Seasonings (about 3 T per # of meat), sea salt, pepper, and lots of garlic powder (about 1 TBS). I added pureed onions,sweet peppers, and sundried tomatoes too. They were the best EVER! Oh, and almond meal in place of bread crumbs!

Enjoy!

Mrs. Kiddey said...

What a nice website. We also are trying to eat better, and more fresh veggies/fruits. We like whole grains however... Congrats on the good work. www.kiddeys1.blogspot.com