2.25.2009

Thursday's Thrifty Meals from New Seasons

This week's Thrifty Meal is one I've gotten many, many requests for. It's a winner at potlucks, and it's the perfect one-pot meal for a busy day when you need to have a nourishing dinner prepared! Best of all, the recipe is composed of ingredients that are simple and inexpensive!

This recipe is modified from Mabel Hoffman's book, Healthy Crockery Cookery, my all time favorite slow cooker book!

Cabbage Burger Bake (this makes 2 meals!)

3/4 lb. of ground beef ($2.24 on sale)
1/2 a cabbage, shredded ($1.29)
1/2 # of carrots, shredded ($0.30, great price on organic carrots!)
1/2 tsp salt ($0.10)
1/4 tsp pepper ($0.10)
1 medium onion, chopped ($0.25, but I buy them in bulk from Costco)
1 cup long-grain rice ($0.75, on sale)
1 can (16 oz. size) tomato sauce ($1.29 at New Seasons)
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves -- crushed ($0.10)
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt ($0.10)

Follow the recipe found here. So easy!

Total: $6.52 for 2 meals (freeze half and when you reheat it, freshen it up with an ounce or two of some shredded parmesan cheese $1.54)

$3.26 per meal

For more Bargain Meals, visit $5 Dinners.

8 comments:

Betsy said...

mmmm, that sounds good. I love one-pot meals that freeze well.

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Yummy! I am really looking forward to when my treatment is done, and I can digest cabbage, broccoli, etc. again! :)

Blessings,
Michele

simplyserina said...

you crumble the ground beef raw, yes? just wanted to confirm.

(hi! i'm typically a lurker.)

Carrie T said...

Yes, this is so good! Can be dressed up to taste with spices and garlic, as well.

And yes, you do crumble the ground beef raw! So easy!

Shannon said...

Hi Carrie,

I was looking for an email address to contact you, but couldn't find one, so I will ask here.

First of all, love the look!

On to my question: we are going to do GAPS for the month of March to see if it helps with some small, but persistent health annoyances. None of us has diagnosed food allergies - dairy or wheat. But we do avoid gluten for the most part. I saw the lists of foods on the gaps site and I am wondering if you think it's necessary to start with the intro since we are in pretty good health. I was thinking of doing a modified version containing no grains, legumes or sugars. I would allow fermented dairy at first and then raw and lots of veggies and fruit. So I suppose it would be similar to a paleo diet but with raw/fermented dairy. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much! You can email me through my contact page if you have the time.

Country Lady said...

This sounds really good. Do you suppose I could substitute either mushrooms or barley for the ground beef with good results? I'll have to play with it and see.

Carrie T said...

Shannon,

So sorry my e-mail link is so low on this page! I totally have felt many of my own personal health issues (minor, too) improve tremendously by getting off of grains (even gluten-free ones that were soaked, etc.)

I think a paleo/fermented diet (I highly reccommend The Garden of Eating by Rachel Albert-Matesz) would be a great place to start, going easy on the starchy veggies, because they could be a problem for you if your digestion is weak.

I'm curious to know more specifically about what might be ailing you....have you looking into the acid/alkaline balance issue? It's possible that even without digestion problems, too many acid-forming foods can lead to health problems associated with acidosis (or milder ailments like chronic joint pain, etc.)

I would love to know more, perhaps I can give more specific insight! My e-mail address is carriethienes [at] hotmail [dot] com.

I look forward to hearing more!

Hugs,
Carrie

Carrie T said...

Country Lady,

Yum, I think mushrooms and barley would be amazing! I might cut back on the rice, though, if I were using barley:)

Do let me know if you try that!

Carrie