3.07.2009

Whole Foods for under $40 at Grocery Outlet


I have a confession to make: I was scared of Grocery Outlet. In my mind, Grocery Outlet was full of non-foods laden with GMOs, HFCS, MSG, and lots of other naughty acronyms. Recently, however, I was proved wrong in my prejudice. I couldn' t believe how much food (all wholesome!) I purchased for $38!!

Here's what I purchased:

3 packages of smoked wild-caught Pacific Northwest Salmon (additive free!)
2 packages of Hormel 100% natural, uncured, nitrate-free pepperoni (for the kids during Lent)
4 kiwis
1 red bell pepper
1 package parmesan cheese
2 bunches of asparagus (@ $1.99/lb!!! and it was very fresh and tender!)
1 bunch bananas
1 head of broccoli (probably the most fragrant "flowery" broccoli I'd seen in my life!)
2 avocados
2 cucumbers (huge!)
2 bunches scallions
1 bunch cilantro
1 jicama
1 bag of onions (same price per onion as Costco!)
1 cantaloupe (will provide 3-4 meal's worth of carrot-cantaloupe juice)
6 organic tomato pastes




All of this rang up to a little over $38.00, and this will provide many, many meals for my family. Along with some of my pantry staples and freezer stash, I'll be able to create this week's meal with no additional shopping, save for my farm-purchased milk and eggs.

So, in preparation for this week's menu, I'll post the additional freezer/fridge/and pantry items I can use up:

Additional Fridge Items:
shrimp stock, sauerkraut, leftover coconut shrimp, ketchup, lacto-fermented salsa, stir-fried veggies and shrimp, peanut butter, beets, romaine, broccoli stalks, carrots, fil mjolk yogurt

Freezer:
kalamari-scallion-shrimp blend from TJ's, peppers, spinach, mangoes, berries, bacon

Pantry:
crispy almonds, dates, red lentils, navy beans, coconut, cashew butter, tomato paste, coconut milk, roasted plantain chips, coconut oil, olive oil, spices

What's in your fridge, freezer, and pantry? I challenge you to use as much as you have on hand this week to plan your menu! On Monday, I'll be posting my menu and hosting the Fridge and Pantry Cleanout once. I invite you to include a comment or send me a link to your post on how you used what you have on hand to form a nourishing, thrifty menu for your family!

Check out how other frugal folks did with their shopping this week over at Grocery Cart Challenge's Shopping Roundup!

19 comments:

Christina said...

so where is the grocery outlet? i have to admit, i am scared to go, too- but after reading your post i may just have to venture on over!

Rebeca said...

I love Grocery Outlet, and since I live about two minutes away from one I go often to see what they have. I've been getting fantastic avocados there, and other goodies too. It's like a treasure hunt!

Christiana said...

I love grocery outlet too!! There is one really close to my house, and Christina there is one close to church off of Murray and I think it's Beaverton Hilsdale. Grocery outlet also has inexpensive organic cosmetics--shampoo, conditioner, soaps, and toothpaste.

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I love Grocery Outlet! :) That's where I always get my canned wild Alaska salmon.

I've found some good deals on frozen organic produce, too.

Blessings,
Michele :)

Katchmo said...

Oh how I wish we had a Grocery Outlet store here! We have a store called by the same title, but it is not part of the chain, and it is pretty worthless, full mostly of junk food. And the prices are not that great. Wish they would come over just one state, to Montana.

Christine said...

Thank you! My husband had told me that our local Grocery Outlet has some great prices, but I have not taken the time to look. I will have to do so this week. I can't wait to hear you speak at the Northwest Catholic Family Education Conference!

Jennifer @ Money Saver 101 said...

Wow! That's truly amazing! I gotta find a grocery outlet near me. That's even cheaper than the Air Force base commissaries!

Carrie @ OrganicThrifty said...

Yes, Grocery Outlet is totally worth it, especially if you have one close to your home! I'm so glad I got over my prejudice!!!

Christiana, it's true; great point. You can get all the organic shampoos, soaps, lotions, etc. for such a great price!

Ranee said...

I love the grocery outlet! Now I have more things to look for there. I didn't realize you were speaking at the NW Catholic Family Education Conference, we will be there, so I hope to meet you there.

Tia @ Tia Saving Cents said...

I have many of the same fears you did and it has kept me out of the local grocery outlet! I will have to check it out. I have been able to pick up many of the same items from 99 Cent Only stores and I am a huge fan of the Hormel Peporoni you picked up! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I am inspired.

happylittlehouse said...

Our Grocery Outlet has an organic section and frequently features organic canned tomatoes, beans, broth, applesauce, juice, crackers, etc. There are almost always frozen vegetables and locally baked, organic bread as well. Last time I went, 18 eggs, local, cage free, veg fed, were just $2.69, less than a dozen conventional eggs at most stores locally. I am a whole foods eater and a Grocery Outlet devotee!

Alyss said...

I've been to another grocery outlet - I think out in King City - that was SCARY. I mean, I grocery shop for fun so it was cool, but there was nothing there I would ever consider buying. I've never seen such low quality dog food anywhere in my life besides that grocery outlet :)
However, the one in the Hollywood District, is amazing. I always go there before I go to Trader Joes because I often find what I am looking for without having to spend the extra at TJs. Great deals on meat and cheese and veggies. I got an organic cauliflower once for 25 cents!
I'll have to find out where that west side grocery outlet is....

Lisa said...

I used to be scared of Grocery Outlet, too, but a friend turned me onto it and I shop their regularly now. It's hit or miss, but I've gotten wild caught frozen salmon at amazing prices, found Kerrygold cheddar and other good deals on quality products. Our local one also has an organic section. If you are willing to weed though the scary junk food, good deals are to be had!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

We have a discount grocery here, and it's hit or miss, but I can get a load of organic canned goods from there. I wish we could find the hormel meats there. They are very spendy, so I wait for a sale & they're still on the high side.

Grats to you for finding a new & affordable venue!

Iconography Girl said...

I always thought the same thing about GO. Thanks for the enlightening post! I can't wait to stop by one soon!

FruFrugal said...

Great post - barely finding it!

merry mann said...

8.Shopping
FABULOUS OPPORTUNITY OF GETTING AROUND 20% OF MONEY BACK ON YOUR PURCHASE TROUGH ONLINE SHOPPING.SO WHAT YOU ARE STILL WAITING FOR ? SHOP ONLINE HERE.YOU CAN REGISTER HERE FOR FREE.
ENJOY ONLINE SHOPPING.
HURRY UP

Crossfitter said...

I was at Grocery Outlet today, and I examined their fish offerings very closely. I hate to be an Eeyore, but I strongly suspect that "Wild Pacific" is a brand name, and not equivalent to "Wild Caught," which is the FDA-regulated phrase we want.

I hope I'm wrong. But I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

Trendoids, go back to Whole Foods and leave Grocery Outlet to the rest of us. If you're scared of a store where regular people shop, because it's not snooty and upscale enough for you, go pay the Elite Tax elsewhere and let us have our affordable organics. Bloody hipster elitists.