4.16.2009

Nourishing, Grain-Free Pancakes


I wasn't going to post this week, but after admiring the amazingly perfect grain-free pancakes I had adapted, I felt that I had to share. My quest: To make a thick, fluffy, comfort-foodie pancake without using grain.

My inspiration? Perhaps it was the Lenten Pancake breakfast I had to, with Lenten self-sacrifice, abstain from last Saturday. I sign up to help with this breakfast every year, in secret hope of being able to covertly add a bit of health to these deliciously sinful pancakes. Unfortunately, these pancakes contain nearly everything that I can't eat! White flour, cane sugar, soy milk, soy oil, and margarine. It's almost laughable how every ingredient, though delicious-smelling, reacts horribly with my body.

Even though I enjoyed the massive spread of fruit dishes, I kept yearning for those fluffy, thick pancakes that filled the air with their griddley goodness Saturday morning.

For the record, I've experimented endlessly with gluten-free pancake and waffle recipes. When grains were more kosher for my daughter, we loved the blender batter waffles/pancake recipe. It's truly thrifty and delicious. But as we've moved transitioned to a grain-free diet, it's been a little more tricky. I've tried almond flour pancakes but they were just too dense and heavy. I had tried Bruce Fife's coconut pancake recipe, but it seemed to flop on me. I was ready to resign myself to a pancake-free life, but then I came across a blog I'm finding more and more affinity towards every day.

Everything Free Eating is written by a women after my own heart, and I LOVE her recipes, her writing style, and her perspective on life. She's amazing. She gave me a starting point for a grain-free pancake. I've tweaked it a bit to fit my taste and have come up with what I think is the perfect "I-can't-believe-it's-not-bad-for-me" pancake!

After two days of preparing these perfect little chubs, and having my kids gobble them up like hotcakes, (even DH pulled the cold leftovers out of the fridge for dessert last night and devoured them) I thought I'd just have to share them. Coincidence? I think not, given Kimi's Nourishing Breakfast Carnival today!

Grain Free Pancakes
adapted from EverythingFreeEating

Blend together in the Vitamix:

3 eggs plus enough whites to equal 1 cup (or just 1 cup, total. I'm always looking for ways to use up my egg whites,and I think the extra whites contribute to the fluffiness)
1/2 cup milk (goat, cow, or coconut; we use goat)
2 Tablespoons of Honey or Agave Nectar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp stevia liquid

Mix together separately:

1/2 tsp guar gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup coconut flour

Add dry ingredients to vitamix and blend until smooth. Pour onto prepared griddle and top with your favorite pancake toppers!

Enjoy! And be sure to visit Everything Free Eating for more creative, grain-free recipes and well as The Nourishing Gourmet!

19 comments:

Erica said...

This looks so good! I am grain-free as well, so all of your ingredients sound pretty good for me. I will try this out without the added sugar and see how they are with some coconut butter as a topping. Thanks! ~Erica

Carrie @ OrganicThrifty said...

Erica,

Let me know how it goes! I would suggest using the stevia, if nothing else, as I found them to be too "eggy" without a little sweetener. You could also try blending in a banana...we tried that today and it added enough sweetness without extra honey or agave nectar. I hope you enjoy!!!

Carrie

maria said...

That's great, thanks!
It is hard when your body reacts so strongly to things. I am not sure though that my body not reacting and handling well is necessarily good either though!! LOL
But it does make life easier for sure.
By they way, I am going to propose a gluten free addition for next year because I think there are enough gluten free people in our parish that one batch of those would be warranted. To make this easy, I want to propose TJ's gluten free mix. Ingredients are:
-sweet brown rice flour
-tapioca flour
-arrowroot flour
- rice milk powder
-cream of tartar
-xanthan gum
-baking soda
-sea salt
-ground vanilla bean

I add about one cup of almond flour to this mix and we can use almond milk and coconut oil for frying.

These are not too fluffy though, but you and I can experiment. Let me know if you are in :D
We can have an experiment day!

maria said...

Oh, nm, gluten free still has rice in it.
Well, you are still welcome to help develop this!

Erica said...

Thanks Carrie. I'll let you know. My body doesn't seem to do well on anything sweet, even fruit, so I eat them in small doses. Eggy is fine with me! I might try to mix some almond flour too..

Maria - Pamela's is a great gluten-free mix. It also has some rice and other stuff in it. It works for some people (like my hubby). Grain-free is alot harder than gluten-free I'm finding out!

Sarah said...

Thanks for this great recipe! We are planning on going on a grain-free/paleo diet shortly after this next baby is born, so this is very helpful!

Best,
Sarah

christiana said...

ugh. i had to leave during the pancake breakfast and during the palm sunday luncheon... those pancakes look good.

maria said...

Erica, doesn't Pamela's have potato in it? I'd like to avoid potato too.

Well, Carrie, there should just be a grain/soy free batch next year. :D

Erica said...

Maria, sorry, yes it does have potato starch -- I leave Pamela's for DH so he has something to eat when I'm out, LOL! I avoid all grains and potato too so I feel your pain.

Betsy said...

Isn't "Everything Free Eating" great? I subscribe to her blog just so I can hear her eloquent prose! Then a bonus recipe at the end! She seems to have had quite the trial with her "hobbits" with food allergies . . .glad she shares her successes (and you, too!)

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
Here are a couple more ideas for grain-free pancakes:
http://www.elanaspantry.com/pancakes/
http://www.elanaspantry.com/flapjacks/
I like Bruce Fife's coconut milk pancakes - they are so fluffy (probably due to the eggs).
Love your blog - and EverythingFreeEating !!
Magda

Tracy said...

I tried out something this morning that ended up being a complete success and I thought of you. I used sugar in mine, but you could use whatever sweetening agent you might prefer and whatever fruit you happen to have.

http://beyondmypicketfence.blogspot.com/2009/04/apricot-frittata.html

Rebeca said...

I made these this morning- in the shape of dragons- in honor of Saint George. I posted a link to the recipe. Thanks for sharing it. It was really good!

Erica said...

Carrie, these were great! My DH wanted the raw honey in them, so I kept the sweetener in. The batter was pretty thick so I had to add some water to make it thin enough to pour. Very good. DH will be repeating this. I prefer this over the premade mixes because I know exactly what's going in it!

Carrie @ OrganicThrifty said...

Erica,

I'm so glad you and your DH liked them! My DH eats them up like crazy....he says they taste like donuts to him!!! I'm so glad to have a real nourishing treat that the family enjoys! Thanks for the feedback!

Tropical Traditions said...

Please submit this recipe to Tropical Traditions for 2 FREE quarts of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/recipes/recipe_submission.cfm

We also donate products for blog giveaways. Request here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/press_reviews.cfm

Lauren said...

I just linked to your recipe from my post about pancakes! It sounds wonderful. It's definitely on my list of recipes to try! :)

Great blog you have here!

Jessica said...

Have you ever tried using coconut nectar in place of agave nectar? You should do a quick google, it's my new favorite sweetener and you can get it like a syrup (devine) and like a powder. I prefer the syrup and it's great for raw recipes, because it is also a raw product. It's low glycemic, raw and TASTY, can't beat that! I love to make rice-crispy-like snacks with it! I can't wait to try your pancake recipe, as we are grain-free with our kids as well!

jamie c. said...

Carrie@organicthrifty!

You have made my life better with this recipe!! This morning I woke up early, intent on making a grain free pancakes. I've been looking forward to my morning off for almost a week.

Knowing nothing about alternative flours (I'm pretty new to the grain free lifestyle), I figured I could take my favorite white flour recipe and simply substitute ingredients... boy was I wrong!

After and very expensive epic failure, I started researching. I found a number of recipes but they all seemed so disproportionate, too many eggs here, not enough flour there. They just didn't make sense.

Then I found this delectable treat. It just seemed right... and it was! These pancakes are delicious and fluffy and oh so amazing! I even skimped on the sweeteners.

Thank you so much for pushing me to a victory this morning!

Jamie